Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Love Beam

When I was a twenty something I used to augment my income by giving magic shows for kids and their parents at suburban birthday parties. I performed many of the usual low rent tricks like the rings, the dancing dollar and, of coarse the dazzle ball, but only one trick was particularly special to me.


The lights went low and a pin spot illuminated a box on a show table. The box was enamel red with gold and black Chinese characters painted on it’s side. I lifted the box and removed a drawer from its side. Both the box and drawer were obviously empty.


My assistant then brought out a white rabbit and the children giggled with delight. I placed the creature in the drawer of box and shut it tight. I waved my wand and spun the box around once and when I reopened the drawer the rabbit was gone. There was now scattered applause.


I then shut the drawer again waved the wand, spun the box and reopened the box to reveal a steaming and flaky family sized bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken. I pulled out a plump drumstick and held it in the light. I then took a healthy bite to confirm the illusion. Hmmm delicious! I put the drumstick back in the bucket and then quickly shut the drawer and spun the box once again.


Slowly I opened the drawer and once again it was empty. I shut the box quickly and tapped on the side two times. I reached deep into the box and pulled the rabbit out into the light. Yes the rabbit was now back and bleeding slightly from a mysterious leg wound.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home